February 03, 2007

Books

When it comes to movies, I tend to like comedies the best...Trains Planes and Automobiles, The Jerk, Rat Race. But when it comes to books, I really struggle with comedies. I guess I just feel like humor doesn't translate that well into writing. So here are my two favorite books of all time. And yes, they both happen to be part of Oprah's book club, but that is merely a coincidence. They aren't funny at all, but I think it's some of the best stories and writing out there.



7 comments:

Mrs. Dub said...

amen.

"a christmas story": the movie = hilarious!

"a christmas story": the book it was based on = not so funny.

and why not read what oprah does? she already controls most of our minds.

Lia said...

If you liked those, you will LOVE "The Audactiy of Hope", by Barack Obama. It's frought with inspirational woman stories...not really, but if you can read, then he needs your vote...Obama for Prez!

stephanie said...

i feel compelled to put it a plug for mitt romney here. MITT FOR PRESIDENT!

i haven't read either of those books, but now i feel i must. thanks for the recommendations!

Leslie said...

i loved Cane River, too! My husband is from central louisiana and it's such an unusual place, loved that story. still haven't gotten around to the good earth yet. but my husband has read it and loved it.

go mitt.

Anonymous said...

I am totally looking for a good book right now. I went to the Library and checked out several but they are all duds. Hmmm...now a choice between two that I know are good! Nice one!

LC

Lindsey from The R House said...

i will have to check those out. didn't you also really like "tuesdays with morrie?" if you did then you will love, "letters for emily" by cameron wright.

Hilary said...

Loved "The Good Earth" - unlike you, I read it because it was Oprah's Book Club selection. I actually though of O-lan after having my baby and sitting comfortably in the hosptial. I remeber she gave birth to twins and was up that evening raking in the fields. Thank heavens for 21st century America.