The Barn
I don't like Pottery Barn. I know, I know. Blasphemous, I'm sure to some readers...including my one sister who will remain nameless (but whose name starts with an A and ends with a Y and has an mmm sound in the middle.) I feel like if I picked up a catalog from 1997, it would probably look identical to the one we just got in the mail last week.
So, when I saw that our Pottery Barn catalog had several pages dog-eared, it made me wonder what kind of craziness was going on in our home.
When we were growing up, my mom bought People magazine every week. And with four girls in the home, we always fought over it, which made it just that much more precious. If you read it for too long in one sitting, one of the sisters would get mad and annoy you until you handed it over. In doing so, we established a three phase reading...1- look at all the star tracks and browse the pictures. 2- The next time you get a chance to look at the magazine, you go through all the pictures again and read most of the articles. And 3- this is the final stage where you read ALL the articles and complete the crossword puzzle. By the end of all three phases, you are pretty well versed in any and all celebrity information.
Come to find out that Justin performed all three phases with the Pottery Barn catalog. He had read, cover to cover, the entirety of the catalog several times during his visits to the men's room, and was now marking the pages that used the phrase "There's nothing like..." There were quite a few.
"There's simply nothing cozier..."
"There's nothing quite like the feel..."
"There's nothing like a beachside clambake..." (who has a beachside clambake?)
"There's nothing more welcoming..."
"There's nothing like an ample table..."
"There's nothing like the glow of candlelight..."
"Nothing brings warmth to the bedroom like..."
Thanks to my husband's diligent efforts, I now know that not only does Pottery Barn repeat their furniture lines over and over, but they use their wording in the same way as well. I guess there's just nothing quite like the effect of repetition.

4 comments:
"There is nothing like paying $1999 for a an outdoor umbrella."
"There is nothing like having a towel with your child's name monogrammed on it that costs more than their current summer wardrobe." "There is nothing spending as much on a dining room set as you did on four years of college tuition." OK, I am just jealous because I can't afford it.
seriously. that's lame. i could do way better, and then i could get a discount.
what a great idea! to actually read the copy! a novel idea. i wonder what else i am missing. hmmmmm?
That's funny b/c every time we get one in the mail Ryan automatically asks me, "can I recycle this?" My reply is always the same "no, I want to look at that" in the hopes that I might see something new this time...but alas, I am still seeing the spiral iron wall-hung candle holder (sconce?) that I first saw in 2004...
PS: I swear I am going to call you today--we were camping last weekend when you called.
Post a Comment