September 18, 2007

It runs in the family

He's not stretching. He's really sleeping this way....and does so nightly. Same goes for him.
When I was younger, I shared a room with Briar. I didn't mind at all because she's always been the world's nicest person and only once tried to throw me across the room. (which I most definitely deserved.)

But she was also a little freaky deaky. Like when she would say "good night" and then I would say "good night" and then in a teeny tiny whisper she'd say "good night." And just to annoy her, I would say "good night" again. And then she'd HAVE to say it one more time because she HAD to be the last one to say it.

And other times, I didn't feel like saying "good night" back to her, so I would just stay quiet. So then she would say "good night" OVER and OVER and OVER hundreds of times until I finally couldn't take it any more and would say "good night." After which she would have to say "good night" again in her teeny tiny voice.

See what I mean? Weird.

There were also lots of nights that she would fall asleep with one or both arms straight up in the air. I tried it one time, and my arm fell asleep after a minute. I don't know how she did it.

But I remember waking up one morning to the sound of her SCREAMING that her arm had been cut off. She was laying on her back and whipping her right arm around over her body feeling for her left arm. Only when I told her that her left arm was up underneath her head did she realize that it was still attached to her body.

So last night when I walked into the boys' room and saw their arms straight up behind them, I realized that maybe Briar wasn't as quirky as I thought. But maybe there is some sort of genetic disposition that makes people sleep with their arms straight back. And maybe my kids got that same gene.

And who knows, maybe soon Charlie will start some "good night" routine or have to turn the light switch on and off seven times before he gets into bed. It might seem a little weird at first, but if my kids turn out like Briar, OCDness and all, I'd be one very happy and proud mom.



And as a side note, look who decided to roll onto his tummy tonight. The Dilly Von Dillskers. (I know, I spoiled the surprise by just giving you the answer. Sometimes I can be so easy on you people.)

4 comments:

Leslie said...

i loved sharing a room with stephanie for so many years. ask her about all the times she passed out in the bathroom from a headrush and i just stayed in bed. :)

stephanie said...

that little dylan is so cute! i am loving his cheeks.

and ya, leslie would just lay in bed and watch me pass out. nice.

BRIAR said...

I just laughed so hard, I totally forgot about that and that is some SERIOUS OCD! i catch myself still wanting to be the last one to say goodnight to B. but I can overcome it!!! And my arm .. . .ohmigosh my arm. I vividly remember that and that was not funny. that was horrifying.

lmhiserman said...

Dillster is gtting way too big. You have to come up and visit me. We had fajitas tonight and they just wern't as good without you. I wished you were here. Come up soon! I miss you.