For whatever reason, I woke up this morning thinking about TV.
I walked into our local cable company's office two days ago to pick up the new digital box, and they had two big screens showing the Food Network in HD. I'd never seen anything so beautiful in my whole life. I thought it was so great that I could hardly even talk to the lady that was trying to help me because I was so distracted by the bounteous goodness of 'Barefoot Contessa.'
I also do enjoy watching 'The Office' every Thursday night. (Although I fell asleep reading at 8 last night and completely missed it.)
Ooh, and every time I go to the gym I watch this show on BBC America called 'How Clean is you house?' and they take DISGUSTING apartments and make them all beautiful just by cleaning.
Lots of TV is good and educational and uplifting, but lately I feel like the majority is bad. Really bad. Evil bad.
Like when I was at the gym and there was a commercial on that fabulous cleaning show and I clicked over to VH1 and was MORTIFIED to find practically porn playing at 9:30 in the morning!
Or like this past Monday night when Justin and I sat down to watch 'House' and the opening scene was two women in bed together.
It made me realize that really disgusting evil things have become accepted as norm: It's okay to look at porn and treat women as objects, it's okay to have same sex relationships, it's okay to talk about sex like we're discussing what we had for breakfast.
This morning, my first thought was, "Oh my gosh, how are my boys not going to get sucked into this?!"
Then my second thought was about what I can do to help.
And so far, I think one thing I can do now is build a good, comfortable relationship with both of them where they can trust me to tell me what they're thinking so that when the time comes, they can tell me if they've slipped and done something they shouldn't have instead of letting themselves spiral down. (and since this is my blog, I'm allowing myself that run on sentence).
I just want them to have high enough self esteem so that when they're approached with that at school or with friends, or just changing channels on the tv, that they will know how much better and more valuable they are than that.
October 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
You're right on Jos. I think that's a wonderful plan. I am really starting to think that self-esteem has EVERYTHING to do with it. You are a wonderful mother and I can tell that you are building that sort of esteem in your two beautiful and smart boys.
Well said. I too have been realizing how desensitized we are as a society, and how even the best families can creep down that slope unconsciously.
I also was watching House the other night and was so glad Lyndsey was not at home....it was over by the time they got home....I know that Satan is testing all of us with the same sex issue etc.
I have to tell you that if you do talk to your kids about these things and what is happening in the world at the time, hoping they stay strong in the church because that is an issue with most teenagers now. Lyndsey has been faced this year with so many issues on being a "Mormon" and with the political issues, she has government this semester, she has really had to stand up for what she believes in and be strong...inside I am just dying with what they come against. Keep talking to them and love them. You are a great mom. I can't tell you it will be easy, but it is such a wonderful experience to see your kids grow up and do what is right, so far. :) I could go on forever, but my time is limited. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Nicely said Jos. I've actually stopped watching Grey's this season after watching the first episode because two women characters decided that they would just "try" being gay. Enough with the gay thing Hollywood!!! We get it, you want the whole world to be gay or just have sex with every person that you meet. Oops, sorry for the ramble, but I've been thinking the same things lately too. I'm so scared to let my kids get older because I hear about what is happening in schools now, and I can't imagine what it's going to be like when our kids get there. Is there a cave we can all hide our kids in so they stay safe? You are doing an awesome job with your kids! Keep up the good work. Love you!
RIGHT ON!!! I too am scared for my kids ... But I am glad that my kids have such WONDERFUL Primary teachers to look up to - THANKS!!!
Wish I could say the same about when I send them out to school.
De-lurking here. Amen and Amen.
I teach at a high school with predominantly minority, economically disadvantaged kids. I am shocked by the conversations I overhear. I am disheartened when I read about their lives. What concerns me is that more and more in our society parents aren't around the way they need to be to monitor the media decisions their children make. They aren't there to have those important conversations about what is right and what is wrong. So who is raising our kids? Entertainment intended for an "adult" audience. It disgusts me that the entertainment industry turns a blind eye to the realities of our society when it comes to what children, or any of us for that matter, have access to, pulling the "isn't this a parent responsibility?" card. Well, media machine, I ask: what happens when these children, raised on vile media, grow up?
Yeah, I had to say goodbye to my Grey's. It is frustrating all the inappropriate behavior/language they allow on TV and movies these days. Josh and I were watching a cartoon-like movie last night and the f-bomb was yelled and there was sexual innuendos. We couldn't believe it. We parents have such a big job to help our children see the evil out there. You are such a great mom. I think Charlie and Dylan won't have a problem approaching you. Keep up the good work!
Amen Amen sister. You said it so perfectly. It is absolutely disgusting what is presented as a "norm" these days.
I lose sleep almost every night about all of this. Especially with Prop 8 and the Presidential Election. And I too watched House and was very disappointed. Our poor baby boys. They will be stronger than us (I hope), they always tell us that Heavenly Father saved the strongest for the last days meaning us, but I know our children will be even stronger than we are.
Post a Comment