October 17, 2008

I've got a problem

I can't seem to keep my blood sugar up during the day. And over the past two weeks, I have been experimenting with so many different things:

duh, cereal for breakfast
smoothie (with bananas, plain yogurt, milk and blueberries) for snack
leftover dinner for lunch
candy and whatever else i can dig up around the house to make me feel better
chicken, carb, and some kind of frozen vegetable for dinner
cereal for dessert.

i've also inserted cottage cheese on toast, apples with cheese, carrots and ranch, or a salad.

And it's not really working! Oh, and I've been exercising several times a week.

I feel like all day I'm fighting a blood sugar slump until I finally can't take it anymore around 2. I thought it was because I was eating a lame lunch, but I've been very cautious lately and I still don't feel great.

I'm not doing this to lose weight, I just want to feel good!

Help, I need suggestions. What do I do?

9 comments:

A Thinker said...

Always combine a carb (fruit or bread/grain) with another food group - namely a protein. But even a dairy or fat will help minimize the blood sugar response to carbs. Because you don't really want hi blood sugar - because then it crashes. You want EVEN blood sugar. So cereal alone sets you up for a major blood sugar tank. Eat cereal with nuts in it or add an egg on the side. Add protein powder to smoothie - alone a smoothie is a blood sugar disaster. Fruit with cheese. Bread with peanut butter (part protein). Vegies never alone - salad with cheese, chicken, beans or nuts. See how it goes! Lov Teenie weenie

Mrs. Dub said...

I thought your suggestions would good, but I do think nuts are a good idea. A nice trail mix always helps me (sans m&ms).

Have you had your sugar levels checked recently? Maybe there is more amiss ... or your doc could make suggestions. My blood sugar issues are purely self-diagnosed, so I'm not expert.

Lori said...

OMGosh Josie. If i eat pancake for breakfast, I want to fall asleep an hour later. I actually feel my best when I have hardly ANY carbs...which is kind of torture..but just try have a protein rich BF. Let me know how it goes..i am not trying to sound like an expert....

lmhiserman said...

Easy, move to Napa so I can cook you all of your meals! Miss you.

April Kennedy said...

I was going to suggest peanut butter with an apple. Your first comment is spot on!

We have smoothies almost every afternoon for our snack. I have started making it with vanilla soy milk instead of apple juice and it tastes great, plus adds some protein without the powder.

Good luck...I do agree with Lisa though...would be too much fun!

Josie said...

ooh, so many good suggestions. but i think the best one so far is moving to napa. justin won't mind. plus, he might enjoy having the kids ALL the time, right?

actually, reading the comments made me realize just how much more protein i need to add to my diet. cheese, peanut butter and nuts, here i come!

Lia said...

oh so many theories--just do the banana diet like they're doing in Tokyo;) You know they're causing a banana shortage...crazy Japanese (and I can only call them crazy because I am Japanese;))
Seriously though, I do feel best when I eat an egg on whole wheat toast for breakfast--in the past I have tried to mix it up by adding a little feta to my scrambled eggs, but let's just face it--nothing says good morning like a big fat bowl of Peanut Butter Panda Puffs.

DyeFam said...

I don't know anything-but I do know that we miss you guys tons! It was fun looking at your blog-!!

Amy said...

diet coke and cookie dough...works like a charm