March 09, 2009

An Update on Me

Not me. Unfortunately, I don't look that pretty when I'm in the same situation.

So the pregnancy is in full swing now at 8 weeks, and every day I feel like the nausea gets a little bit worse. I take 8mg of Zofran in the morning, and 8 mg at night. Thank goodness for that or else I would be in serious trouble.

In case I've never complained to you before, let me explain. When I'm pregnant, I have a condition called Hyperemesis. Which is just a fancy way of saying "really sick." During my first trimester with Charlie I lost ten pounds and couldn't even keep down gatorade or popsicles. It was then that my wonderful uncle/doctor diagnosed me and got me a prescription for Zofran. If you've ever had a baby, I'm sure you've heard of it. But if you haven't, it's an anti-vomitory medication that was developed for Chemo patients. It is a life saver and has helped me to gain some control in my life. However, it doesn't solve everything. For a peek at what I mean during Dylan's pregnancy, go here.

I feel nauseous all the time. The only time I don't feel like throwing up is when I'm sleeping.

Food however helps to subdue the nausea a little. Big, heavy, greasy food is what I need to keep from curling over the toilet. (Which is how I greet the day most mornings anyway.) And I have to gag it down AT LEAST every two hours or else it just gets progressively worse.

Here's a taste of what my day looked like today (and it's not even 1:30 yet)

5:30 Wake up and take Zofran then eat a bowl of cereal
8:00 Throw up and then dry heave for a while
8:10 Eat an english muffin with peanut butter and honey
9:00 Eat a bowl of fruit covered in yogurt
10:00 Eat left over bbq ribs and a baked potato
11:00 Eat a protein bar
1:00 Eat a Trader Joe's frozen burrito

I am SO over it. And even with all of that effort, I'm left wanting only to sit on my couch and stare at the wall. Or sleep.

And since Justin is busy at work all week, the only time he can help is on the weekends. Just this past weekend, he took the kids and washed my car and got gas, went to Safeway, Trader Joe's, and Costco. Mopped the floor, did all the laundry, made all the meals for everyone, then cleaned them all up, cleaned the house several times, and let me take a 2 1/2 hour nap. And never complained once. He is my hero.

Dylan is content. He's happy just to cruise around while I lay and watch him. Charlie couldn't be happier because he watches movies everyday and I let him play games as long as he wants on pbskids.org. I know they'll survive minus a few brain cells from all the TV.

And I have to remember that this is all for a VERY good cause. And it won't last forever. (Even though right now it seems like it's a really long haul.)

So, if you ever have the urge to sit on a couch that's not your own, come over! I'd love to have you. I'm sure your face is a lot more fun to look at than the wall.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I am so, so sorry. I am just exiting this stage and can empathize 100%. It is so worth it and it will just be a story in a few months ( that's what I kept telling myself). Love you.

stephanie said...

oh jos, that totally sucks. i wish i could come sit on your couch with you. hang in there!

lrbodine said...

You don't know me but I somehow found your blog through other BYU friends. It looks like we're the exact same week in our pregnancy and I'm in the same boat - only with my second kid and not third. I could have written this post and I feel your pain!

Jade said...

Hang in there Josie. I have to say, you looked fabulous on Sunday. I would never have guessed you were this sick. Good work, you had me fooled.

Lia said...

Seriously, you do still look great, but I know that's no consolation! We'll plan a day to come up when the kids get better for sure! Hang in there trooper;)

susan said...

I think that I bettter plan a visit soon....

BRIAR said...

Why do we not live closer!!!
Love you

Mae Linda Willis Lualemaga said...

I'm so sorry Josie. If you ever need me to take the boys for a little while so you can rest please give me a call. I don't do much in the morning when my boys are in school.