I want to spray paint a dresser
And we have spray painted LOTS of furniture in this house....more than I care to admit. But my problem is that it usually ends up rubbing off after lots of wiping (kitchen table) or use (computer desk).
Here's what we do: Sand (we've used both a regular sander and liquid sandpaper), prime with primer spray paint, and then apply two coats of the regular spray paint.
So my question is....should I ditch the sanding and priming and just spray paint? Do I need a clear top coat of something? If you've ever done this before, I would LOVE your ideas. Baby's coming soon, and she deserves more than an ugly oak dresser!

6 comments:
You need to apply a top coat of Varnish when you are done. I used a spray varnish on my black dresser in the guest room and haven't had any paint come off.
don't sand it first. that's a major pain and usually isn't necessary. i use a spray primer, then two coats of color, then a spray varnish. a dresser won't get as much wear as a kitchen table or computer desk, so you should be ok.
so, we too have spray painted some furniture around here. our kitchen table and chairs were our biggest project for sure. we did a think coat of some kind of laquer top coat over it when we were done, and the paint has never rubbed off in 5 years and lots of wipe downs. it does leave a somewhat shiny finish, but you may be able to find some kind of top coat that doesn't. brian would disagree with me, but i kind of think that you'd be ok not to sand and just primer and paint it. the sanding is the worst part. good luck.
Have you heard of thisyounghouse.com? It's a blog/website by a young couple with lots of DIY advice for home decor/renovations. I've been soaking that site up in preparation for moving into our new house next month. I have A LOT of hand-me-down furniture I plan to paint. Anyway they have several step-by-step tutorials for painting furniture. Try this page http://www.thisyounghouse.com/2009/02/how-to-paint-furniture/
Oh, and they highly recommend using a paint brush and not spray paint. Good Luck!
Kevin has painted some of our furniture and done a fabulous job so I asked for his expert advice, and here it is....."talk to Home Depot." :) ha ha, good luck!
I'll be emailing you some pics. love your butt.
Post a Comment