May 21, 2010

Mexico

Last week I went to Puerto Aventuras, Mexico with my two sisters, their husbands and Jake....Briar is too preggers to go :(

It's about an hour south of Cancun. It was the first vacation Justin and I have had since we started having kids and was everything I hoped it would be. Super hot and sunny with a nice breeze every day.

This is Chichen Itza, one of the Mayan ruins. We had a Mormon tour guide (Lemuel from ldstours.com) show us around. He had so many insights about everything that we saw. I can't believe how much he taught us in one day.


Lemuel was showing us that when we clap, it echoes seven times through the ball court.
Another site of Mayan ruins, Ek Balam. We climbed up all those stairs to the top. It was fine going up, but totally scary coming down. I had to hold onto Justin the entire time.


At the top. Any hills that you see in the background are ancient ruins that just haven't been excavated yet.

Can you believe those carvings?

Amy and Jon

After visiting the ruins, we stopped off at this unbelievable Cenote. We went swimming and jumped off those little ledges. The water was plenty warm and I'm happy to report that I was not sucked on by any fish.

Christina, our breakfast cook and housekeeper. She was wonderful. We would wake up in the morning and come down to a full spread of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, bagels and cream cheese, and whatever specialty of the day she whipped up.

This day it was huevos rancheros. Sweet and delicious. She would make us homemade guacamole every day. I think I ate my weight in that stuff.

Our lazy day at the beach.

We had these little cabanas and hammocks to ourselves and rented some bikes to ride along the beach.

Megan Jake and I went for a walk along the beach. After we'd been walking for about ten minutes, I looked up and saw this "man" laying on the beach I couldn't believe how weird his man boobs were. Then it was like my eyes were opened, and everywhere I looked, everyone was naked! I didn't realize that we were at a nude beach until we were right in the thick of it!

The first thing that came out of my mouth was, "we're not in Oz anymore!" It was the most hideous thing I've ever seen. It was all a bunch of older highly unattractive people flaunting their stuff. I tried not to look at them on the beach, so I looked toward the water. But they were walking out of the water too! I felt like I was in a Thriller video and soon they'd start surrounding us.

Megan and Jake weren't as sicked out as I was, and were laughing so hard the whole time. I just kept my eyes on my feet until we were in the clear.

That night, we stopped at this taco stand/cart (It initially was a cart, but they just cemented the wheels into the ground). It was so delicious and my favorite food experience from the trip.

A cute little girl that was hanging out by the cart/stand.

We went to this place where you could drive amphibious jeeps, float through stalactites, and also go ziplining. Since my cameras not waterproof, this is all I got from that day. This is the final leg of the zip line through the waterfall.

On our way home, Justin and I had a 6 1/2 layover in El Salvador. We decided that instead of memorizing everything in the duty free shops, we'd venture out into the city.

The taxi driver dropped us off here. I can't even begin to explain how loud it was. Everyone had enormous speakers and it was like a competition to see who could blare their music louder.

It seemed like everyone was selling something, but nobody was there to buy it.

I would hang out the window if I were in that van too.

This cute girl asked to have her picture taken. She was selling a pair of VASN shoes. So close.

The cathedral in the middle of San Salvador. Justin and I were there on a Sunday. The streets were SO loud and SO crazy, and as soon as we walked into here, it was cool and peaceful. It was just so pretty.


Our trip FLEW by! A special thank you to Justin's mom (and dad for a few days) for taking care of the kids and making this all possible! You are AMAZING!

And a HUGE thank you to Megan and Roger who made this all possible. Love you guys!

I had SUCH a great time!

9 comments:

lmhiserman said...

I am so jealous!!! That looked so amazing and beautiful. I've never really wanted to go to Mexico before, but after looking at those pictures, I want to go there & stay in that house. I'm so glad you got to such have a fun trip, kids free.

Lisa

Mrs. Dub said...

I don't know where to put my jealousy - the beach, the good food, the time sans kids, or the six hours in one of my favorite (albeit loud) countries. Just imagine waking up every morning to people blaring Eminem & Bon Jovi. A lethal combo, my friend.

So glad you had fun. When I got your text, I momentarily thought it might be code for "I'm in danger, please send the police," because I couldn't imagine why you'd be in San Salvador, but I'm happy to see it was legit.

Now, when can I come?

April Kennedy said...

I want to know where that house is too. We love Mexico and haven't been in awhile....and have always wanted to go south of Cancun! Glad you had a wonderful time with your sisters and brother.

Vatcher Family said...

First off, I LOVE your little blue outfit! Totally cute! Second, Wow! that looked like so much fun! Glad to have you back though. Are you going to Henri's baptism tomorrow at 5?

Angie said...

those pictures were amazing...I just loved the part about the nude beach...quite funny, course I wasn't there, I probably would have done the same thing as you...

Lia said...

You weren't kidding! Looks heavenly! I'm showing Ryan tonight so he can say "gee honey, that looks amazing--when can I steal you away to that magical place?" That's probably what he'll say anyways...

Andrew said...

All you were missing was a headset, fannypack, and blue backpack with arches on it. Brought back some memories, I have always wanted to make a similar trip. Very jealous.

Brazil's Girl said...

Josie!! It's been a long time. I don't know if you ever remember how I am. Anyway I was on Ashby's blog and got to yours. How are you??? Are you on FB? I was just reading the story of your friend's FB being hacked, I was laughing so hard. That was hilarious. Can I reblog it? It was the funniest thing I've ever read.

Hope all is well.
Renatha.

Brooke Eriksen said...

AWESOME! Sign me up on your next trip:)

ps- You are one hot mama!