January 18, 2012

I'm so blessed

This picture of Briar and I from when we were little has nothing to do with this post. I just love it.


I'm going to be honest. As of late, it has been easy for me to focus on what is not working in my life and what needs to change. Just ask my journal...it knows everything.

But for some reason right now I am totally overwhelmed by just how blessed I really am.

Tonight I was sitting on the couch with the overhead light off and just the lamp on. Dylan was on my right, dressed only in his undies and wrapped in his bobbie. His head was resting on my shoulder. Macy was to my left wrapped in her bobbie with her turquoise binky in her mouth. She was resting her head on my other shoulder. Charlie was right next to her. I had my left arm stretched out and was able to put my hand on charlie's back while holding a book with my right. I read to my kids for forty five minutes.

They sat so still and listened to everything I said. Near the end, Dylan was so sleepy he was having a hard time keeping his eyes open. Charlie kept yawning. But I didn't stop reading because I wasn't ready for it to end.

After I finally finished and we read a scripture and said prayers. I got to put their blankets on them and kiss them goodnight when they climbed in their beds. I told them each how much I love them, with Dylan making sure I wasn't telling Charlie anything better than what I had already shared with him.

I have done some version of this almost every night of my life for the past eight years. Tonight I am feeling blessed that instead of it becoming just one more thing to check off my list at the end of the day, I was able to see the bedtime routine for what it really is.

I honestly hope that this is what Heaven feels like because I can't imagine feeling any more peace.

4 comments:

Mrs. Dub said...

Beautiful and true. Totally needed this reminder after three weeks of really sick children, zero sleep and waning patience.

DeEtta said...

Beautiful peaceful post. Loved it and love you.

BRIAR said...

That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard.
And the CUTEST picture on the planet, for sure.

Staccie West said...

I remember the day this was taken. A trip through yellowstone park. The field of wild flowers was to inviting to not stop and walk through. I (mom) was preggers with Jason. Grammie Gwen was also with us this day.