January 24, 2014

Thankstravaganza 2013

For the past decade, we've been having Thanksgiving dinner with the Kings and the Hisermans.  Usually Lisa does all of the cooking, Sara and I act like we're helping her, and everyone else plays.  This year, with Sara gone, Jamie and his kids moved to Utah, and our little family moved to Colorado, we decided it didn't matter.  We were still going to get together anyway.  So we all made the trek to Jamie's new home in Utah.  

Charlie, William, and Jacob played Hockey pretty much the entire time (except when they were distracted by video games).  

Jamie has an amazing park with an amazing view just a few steps from his house.  Here's the Xan Man checking it out.

And cute Maddie Jene

And Dilly Von

And Parky Do

 And little Miss Sassy pants herself: Macy


Charlie, Jacob and William.  It was so fun for me to see them play together.  It brought back so many memories of them playing as little kids.

Merrill and Xander
 All of the King Fish Hiserman kids (minus a napping Jude)




Jamie pulled three of Dylan's front teeth while we were visiting.  Love that toothless smile.

Cute Emmakins

Justin all tuckered out from watching Lisa cook.

Merrill sporting the pervert stache.

Dylan, Jackson, and Parker playing with the toys that Lisa brought for them.

Jamie took requests for his chocolate chip pancake designs.

And Jamie had matching shirts made for all of us.  They say "King Fish Hiserman Thankstravaganza.  Meat Plugging since 2005."

We stopped and got drinks at Circle K.  I got a diet Dr. Pepper in honor of Sara.  We then went to visit her grave.



 Being all together without Sara for Thanksgiving was even harder than I thought it would be.  It was glaringly obvious that her bigger than life personality was missing.  But also good to be around people who know and love her so much.  It was therapeutic for me to be able to talk about her so much.  I think the best part for me was being able to use all of her kitchen tools.  Random, I know.  But just seeing her bowls and measuring spoons made me feel like she was there.

Lisa's AH MAZING dinner.  I even like the brussel sprouts.

And since Briar lives only a few minutes from Jamie's, she and my mom came by after Thanksgiving dinner for dessert.  Sadly, I didn't get a picture of my mom.  But she was there.

Lisa and I made books for each of Sara's kids.  Each book is individualized with pictures of Sara with them.  For me, that was the highlight of the trip.  I watched Parker take his book and hide under the computer desk and flip through it.  Emma kept saying, "that's me!"  And Jacob sat and went through his with William and Charlie looking on.  Their mom was so special, that we wanted them to remember her.  Hopefully this will help them to remember just a little how much she loves them.

Lisa and William

And the ONE token picture of me.  See?  I did make it on the trip.  Love this Lisa.
On our last day there, Justin got the stomach flu.  But since we don't have a DVD player in our car, and  it's a 9 hour drive, I decided to drive through the night so the kids could sleep through it.  I did on the way to Utah and it worked great.  Justin flew in a few days later.  While Justin spent the day with his stomach churning, I packed everything up.  I got the kids loaded after dinner, and then got Justin and told him to get in.  I gave him plastic bags in case he needed to throw up again.  Rude, huh.  About ten minutes into our drive, he starts hyperventilating and acting like he's going to puke into the bag.  But by this point, we were all loaded, the kids were fed and sleepy, and I had already had some caffeine.  I was determined to get home.  So….I stopped at Walmart and bought some NyQuil.  I gave Justin double the recommended dosage.  Sure, I drugged my husband to get my way.  But it worked like a charm.  He slept for the next 24 hours.  Except once at a rest stop, he got out to use the restroom.  He said he fell asleep on the toilet.  He honestly didn't wake up until 4pm the next day.  And by then, we were home, unpacked, and the kids and I went to church while he was in dreamland.

Thanksgiving together was so much fun.  I hope we can do it every year.  But maybe next year we should just order take out to give poor Lisa a break.

2 comments:

Jade said...

Good call on drugging the husband. I will have to try that one.

stephanie said...

those books will be treasured forever, i am sure. what a good friend you are! i am glad you were able to make the trip. sounds like a really special tradition. love you, josie.