April 29, 2007

My belly

Two days ago, I was getting in the shower and just glanced at myself in the mirror. The first thought that came to my mind when I saw my tummy shooting straight out was, "Whoa. That looks freaky. It's so unnatural." And then quickly moved on to thinking about other important things like what I was going to have for breakfast and whether I was going to make my hair straight or curly.

But after church today, I was talking with Justin and all of a sudden realized just how totally natural a tummy shooting straight out is. It's really what my body was made for. (now I realize that this is a sensitive subject because not every woman who wants to be pregnant can. And that does not mean that their bodies are any less important or valuable...I think I'm just trying to put my own crooked thoughts into perspective.)

But I do feel like one of the main purposes that I'm here on this earth is to raise a family, and that I shouldn't view this HUGE tummy I carry in front of me everyday as an obstacle that makes me seriously uncomfortable (which Justin will vouch I've been doing A LOT of lately). But as a very big reminder that I get to have one of the greatest gifts and responsibilities life has to offer.

2 comments:

Mrs. Dub said...

just what i needed to hear. amazingly, i'm already getting an itch for another one. (posting about puke would have been a good way to dissuade me as i've totally forgotten those miserable first few months.)

my only hesitation was that i didn't want to get huge and uncomfortable again. but we are made to do it. and if we can rebound once, we can do it again ... right?

Lindsey from The R House said...

jos--it IS what YOUR body is made for. MY body, on the other hand, has other plans and was not designed for such. it's not a sensitive subject if you have a testimony of how you're family is supposed to arrive on planet earth.

pregnancy is a beautiful gift you've been given. it's a miracle. it's incredible. enjoy it, tummy and all.

:)