July 06, 2007

Oh, great

Janean just sent me this article, and I must say, I feel a little heart broken this morning....but not enough to stop me. It's quite an addiction for me. Maybe later in life I'll need a 12 step program to cure me of my flip flop obsession, but for now, I'm like the smoker that thinks that they'll never get emphasema or lung cancer....



Trouble Afoot With Flip-Flops
By KIM PAINTER, USA Today
Aching feet: It sounds like one of those middle-aged problems.But these days, Dallas sports podiatrist Marybeth Crane is seeing "whole soccer teams of 16-year-old girls" complaining of the sort of foot pain she used to see mostly in "older, fatter" people.The culprits aren't the girls' soccer cleats or even the high heels they break out on prom night. Instead, Crane blames their flip-flops -- the flimsy, slip-on, toe-thonged sandals that girls and young women nationwide have adopted as their warm-weather, everyday shoe uniform."Flip-flops were never meant to be everyday shoes," says Crane, a spokeswoman for the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons." They were meant to wear from the locker room to the pool and back."

Marlene Reid, a podiatrist in the Chicago area, agrees: "Flip-flops are great for the beach as an alternative to being barefoot." For the rest of life, she says, "there are better choices."The problem, foot doctors say, is that flip-flops offer little cushioning and no arch support, and they force their wearers into an unnatural, toe-gripping, foot-slapping gait.Among the possible consequences: Sore arches and heels, which can progress to chronic conditions, including inflamed Achilles tendons and plantar fasciitis, inflammation of the connective tissue between the heel bone and the toes. Heel calluses (from the pounding). Hammer toes (from the gripping). Irritation between the toes (from the toe thongs), which can lead to nasty fungal infections.

6 comments:

stephanie said...

oh no! i ONLY wear flip flops. seriously. every day.

Jessi said...

I have a solution...

You have to check out the Teva mush flip-flops. I could be an infomercial for them, but I'll let you try them on and then write your own rave review. :)

Anonymous said...

I have FINALLY cured myself of flip flops this summer. I actually bought a really comfy pair of shoes (gasp) that I wear instead. I feel like a real grown up now.

I'm sorry to laugh WITH you, but the bangs thing just cracks me up because I have SO been there. As a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of a bang incident right this moment. I saw a new hairdresser who refuses to call them bangs but prefers "FRINGE". Anyway, he cut way too many and I have a mullet thing goin' on. I use bobby pins and pin them on the side (the ones I don't want) and leave the rest to flop around. You're lucky you don't have a humongo forehead like me and can actually use the option of pulling the bangs back (there is always a BRIGHT side!!).

LC

Jaime said...

It's true! During the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy I put away my stillettos and slipped on my flip flops (except for sundays). And in the process of moving I have chucked quite a few of my height helping friends and have stuck with the flip flops. My ankles and feet hurt far more now than they ever did before! My stillettos are much better for my high arched feet so if anyone wants to send me some money to help my stilletto fund I would appreciate it!

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

Hmm, that is too bad about flip flops. I have a question. I grew up calling them "Thongs." Am I crazy? Did anyone else call them thongs?

I pretty much call them flip flops now, although I have to think about it before saying it.

Janni said...

I WILL NEVER GIVE THEM UP!