July 20, 2011

Charlie

I got married when I was 23. We waited a full five weeks after that to get pregnant. Needless to say, Justin and I threw ourselves into family life immediately. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. But if I had to do it over again, I absolutely would. Charlie has been such a happy part of my life that I wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer for him.

Charlie was 3 1/2 when Dylan was born, so we had those first few years with just the two of us. He came everywhere with me and was like a little adult. He still is.

If it wasn't against the law, I would feel totally comfortable leaving him in charge of Dylan and Macy. I would come home to a kaboomified house, but everyone would be taken care of.

Charlie's world revolves around having fun. The more people around, the better. The more laughs he can get out of someone, the better. He would be a perfect camp counselor because he has no shortage of ideas for games to play with any number of kids. We've been in this same apartment for 7 years with no new toys bought since his birthday last November. But he always can find something fun and different to do....looking at the neighbor's cats, hunting for jewels (little colored rocks), bike races, tag, climbing trees, and all sorts of things that I think are so random but all the kids think are so fun.

And he will wrestle with anyone. Boys, girls, it doesn't matter. If you're game, he's game. If he's wrestling with Justin, he'll throw in a fake cry every once in a while, but if he's wrestling with another kid, no tears ever.

Charlie loves to laugh. Even when I'm upset with him and trying to discipline for whatever reason, he's usually holding in a smile. "Why are you trying not to smile?" "I don't know." "Well, stop it." "I can't help it!"

He likes to test my boundaries. He'll usually say no the first time I ask him to do anything unless I use my "grouchy voice" or if he knows there's something in it for him. I swear he's going to be a politician or a lawyer someday because he can twist my words and meaning and get me to agree to things I never normally would.

A couple of months ago, we started a sticker chart and every time he did something that we had listed on the chart, he would get a sticker. When he got 100 stickers, I told him he could get a prize. He chose a book. I said, "Really? You can get a toy too, you know." He just said, "I know. I want a book." What?! I majored in English and I didn't like to read that much. He reads about as fast as I do and can comprehend as much too.

Charlie's open and honest with me. He tells me about the girls that he likes, what made him sad, what things annoy him and what his books are about. I'm not naive enough to think that this is how it's always going to be, but I'll take it while I can get it.

If I had it my way, every parent should be lucky enough to have a Charlie. Love you, bud!

No comments: