September 17, 2009

This is how I feel

Justin always teases me that I start every "discussion" (code for argument) with, "Okay, this is how I feel." But now that I'm 36 weeks, I just wanted to write down what has been going on with me so that next time I'm pregnant, I'll be able to compare. Just be warned, this post will be totally boring for all of you, and is really just for me.

Here's the round up of what this pregnancy has been like:

6 weeks: Get hit with the nausea. Takes a few days for it to fully kick in.

7 weeks: I'm taking 8 mg of Zofran three times a day and barely able to get off the couch.

Some days are better than others. Bad days: throw up lots, stay on the couch all day while my kids watch tv and eat corn dogs. Good days: get dressed and put make up on, then sit on couch all day while my kids watch tv and eat corn dogs. Cry most nights over my frozen burritos that I never want to be pregnant again.

14 weeks: Worst of the nausea subsiding, but I'm still needing to take 24 mg of Zofran a day to keep me from throwing up my insides. I feel crappy, but if I'm around people, or outside, or shoving my face with corned beef, I'm able to get my mind off of it for a little bit.

22 weeks: Nausea's pretty much gone, but still taking 24 mg of Zofran

25 weeks: Decide to cut back on Zofran and move down to 16 mg, and some days even 8 mg. I feel great and sometimes even forget that I'm pregnant. I start going crazy with organizing and getting ready for the baby to come. I feel happy and so excited for her arrival.

30 weeks: Nausea starts to kick in again. I feel fatigued all the time and get up two to three times a night with leg cramps. Move the Zofran back up to 24 mg. I start to feel weepy and hormonal.

36 weeks: I get up to pee one or two times a night, and leg cramps once a night. The sight of food is disgusting. Making dinner is overwhelming and yucky, and even cereal grosses me out. I cry over everything, and feel sleepy most of the time.

Most of the time, I lay awake in bed at night thinking about how I feel like a beached whale every time I roll over, or what project needs to get done before the baby comes, or how much laundry I have to do, wondering what I can eat next to get rid of the nausea, or stressing about the possibility of post pardum depression.

But I had one night last week where I layed in bed thinking about how much I already love this baby even though we've never formally met. I thought about what she's going to look like. I thought about how excited the boys (well, really just Charlie) are to have be here, and dress her up and play with her. I thought about what she's going to smell like all bathed and snuggled up. But most of all, I had this unbelievable desire just to hold her.

I think about the physical and emotional roller coaster that I've been through to get her here, and I realized that night that I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Here's to one more month!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo the smell alone of a new babe kills me. And how all there movements are slow and strained unless startled. A Girl Josie..I have always just wanted boys but recently I think about beinf=g a mom to a girl I think I would do okay now. You however come from a sea of Awesome sisters..how awesome for you to carry on the line of West woman!! Hang in there how exciting.

Autumn

Jessi said...

So many women can identify to your feelings. Best of luck through the last few weeks.

stephanie said...

so not boring. very sweet, actually. your perspective is so wonderful.

as i contemplate having another voluntary c-section, i want to freak out. but i don't. because smelling a new baby is the best thing in the world. and all of the pain and fear and worry and nausea are worth it.

i can't wait to see your little girl.

Amy said...

My lily is just 7 weeks old and I have already had thoughts like, "the pregnancy wasn't that bad...I could do it again". Once you hold that baby you totally forget! Can't wait to meet your "mini me".
xoxo

Lia said...

How did this happen? I feel like I have missed WAY too much of this pregnancy! Good luck in the homestretch! I expect to be the first to know when that little one decides to make her entrance...or at least the eighth...or the tenth...or somewhere in the teens...;)

Tanya McKibben said...

Josie, you are such a trooper. I am so glad you are over the sickness. No fun! The last month is crazy too, but you will make it.

Debbie said...

We're excited to meet her too! Little boys are great but girls are really fun to play dress up with. Enjoy!

Heather said...

I didn't know you were nauseated again, so sorry for forcing you to smell and look at all that pizza Friday night! Can't wait for the baby shower!!!