September 11, 2011

First day of school two weeks late

This is the face of one very excited boy. He got a nice teacher in a class with lots of friends. (although not the girl he has a crush on...thank goodness for recess.)

It has been so nice having Charlie around this summer. He is my equivalent to cartoons. Whenever Macy or Dylan need entertaining, they just look to Charlie. He is the master of planning fun things. They gravitate to him. As I'm writing this, Charlie's using the bathroom, and Macy and Dylan are hanging out in that tiny, stinky room with him just to play whatever game he's told them they need to play.

Charlie was my lifesaver this summer. I was pretty much incapable of doing anything other than eating or putting on a clean pair of sweat pants, and I had three kids at my house all day every day with no plans of going anywhere. With Charlie around, nobody minded (although I was filled with guilt about it everyday).

The last week, however, was a different story. It was like everyone reached a breaking point, and three months of the same 900 square feet was starting to catch up to them. Lots of fighting, and name calling (bratty cat was the most common). So, when school came around, we were all happy for Charlie.

Sometimes he says that he wishes he could stay home to do whatever we did that day, but mostly, he's just so excited to be back at school learning and with friends. As a side note, he's in second grade, but is in 2/3 combo and is the tallest kid in his class by a good four inches.

It's a bummer to have him gone, but it sure is fun when he comes back again.

4 comments:

BRIAR said...

He looks so cute, Jos.

stephanie said...

i've said it before, and i'll say it again. i love charlie.

Staccie West said...

Charlie what a handsome young man you are! I love your hair and you look very cool. You were a life saver for your Mom - how fun to be the big brother. I love you
Grammie

amber said...

Why are our boys getting older. I'll forever think of Charlie and Henry in diapers and a smile. Charlie is just so great.

Love you! Hope you're feeling better and better...