Memorial

I was debating today on whether or not I should share with my kids what happened on 9 11. My concern was that when they saw the pictures that they would think the explosion was cool instead of tragic. When I asked Justin if I should, he said, "why not?" So I did.
I first tried to explain in very simple terms what happened. And then I showed them some pictures. I was choked up as I was explaining what was happening in each picture, and since Dylan is like Briar and can't not cry if somebody else is, started crying too. He kept saying, "that is so sad, Mom." Charlie couldn't believe it either. The thing that hit him the most were the hundreds of firefighters who died while rescuing others.
We then looked at pictures from the Memorial Ceremony. Charlie was struck by just how many names were on the memorial and Dylan and I both cried when we saw people holding pictures of their loved ones that had died. And Macy was busy pinching Dylan's neck with her toes.
It was sad to talk about, but I'm glad we did it.

3 comments:
I talked to my girls too. So sad.
And. . .Dylan's my boy, what can I say?
Josie, such a wonderful thing to do for the boys. Both boys had very mature observations and I think they got the message. You're a great mom
Hey Jos! Are things getting better with the bean in your belly? I really really hope time is going fast. So I would love to pick your brain about living in the bay area. Please ping me when you get a chance! xoxoSarah
Post a Comment